11 November 2008

what a trip

I finally went to my intake appointment today.

The doctor was different than I had imagined.

Before I left I managed to find the company's website and checked out who my doctor was. Dr Zeiger specializes in things like dream analysis and sand tray drawings.

Okay, a lot different than I had initially thought.

I left Surface early to make sure I could get a bus to the right place. It was a pretty boring bus ride, though I am glad it was a nice toasty bus. The weather has finally decided to act like November, so it's actually cold and windy now. After waiting in that, a warm bus was just what I needed. I guess.

I managed to get off the bus a bit too late, and then proceeded to walk into Henrico County. I had to find a sign with the address to know exactly how much farther I had to walk. I ended up walking back a few blocks, but it wasn't that bad. The bus ride was shorter than I had planned and I got there with plenty of time to spare.

I found the building and checked in, then settled down to wait with my book. I was glad I brought that book, having gotten there about 20 minutes early.

Finally I meet Dr Zeiger. She's wearing a white sweater and a white hat with a red skirt. Nice woman, really. We get to her office and that's where the weird actually starts.

It smells kind of like apple cider and cinnamon, and something else pleasant and sweet that I still can't name. There are dolls and figurines on the shelves and African masks on the wall. There's a sofa and a few chairs. And there's a rather large plastic box filled with wet sand on a table in the middle. On the table is a wooden candle holder of four people holding hands, the candle burning in the middle. There's another sand box on a smaller table between the sofa and the wall, this one dry.

The session begins.

She asks me about myself, my family, my school, my whole situation. It's not quite as awkward as I was expecting it to be. She's a vegetarian, and she's been up to Baltimore before and even knows Reisterstown. She gives me a short test to see if I really am ADD, just a preliminary. Yes, I am, of the inattentive variety. No surprise. She asks me some more questions, specifics about my meds and my life.

And when it was all over she gave me a weird 100 question test [with plenty of weird questions about alcohol], which I proceeded to fill out and then I left.

I took the bus back, and was home nice and cosy by 7:35.

Where I watched House and ate food and watched The Breakfast Club and learned that cool dance they do. I'm awesome.




[it's at 1:04-1:07, by the way]
[yes, it's shitty. cuz someone was filming their tv...]

No comments: